California Family Law Attorney
California Family Law Lawyer Attorney Profile Click here to visit our blog Links Resources
Contact the Law firm of Thurman W. Arnold III
click to call
225 South Civic Drive Suite 1-3 Palm Springs, CA 92262

What happens to FEES I deposited if I FIRE my ATTORNEY?

Q. What are the refund policies if I reconcile with my spouse or switch divorce attorneys?

A. Attorneys are required by California State Bar Rule 4-100 to refund all unused fees promptly, for whatever reason, when the relationship ends unless you have a Flat Fee arrangement where all the monies have been earned upon retention. These monies are supposed to be placed into an attorney-client Trust Account. Unfortunately, may attorneys pocket the money or put it in their general account. This creates a conflict of interest, because if they've spent the money already they are more likely to pad their bills.

Attorneys are required to provide your original file to you, after they copy it at their own expense. Attorneys cannot hold a file hostage for unpaid fees. They must sign a Substitution of Attorney withdrawing from the case upon demand, regardless of whether or not they claim you owe them money. They are required to give a full statement and explanation of your fees and charges upon request. Refusal to do within 10 days or less may be a cause for State Bar Discipline.

Here's a link to the rules and statutes governing the attorney-client family law relationships.

T.W. Arnold


No Comments Posted

Palm Springs Family Attorneys | Contact Thurman W. Arnold III | Site Map | Disclaimer

Professional Web Design The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Address: 225 South Civic Drive Suite 1-3 Palm Springs, CA 92262 Phone: (760) 320-7915