California Family Law Attorney
California Family Law Lawyer Attorney Profile Click here to visit our blog Links Resources
Contact the Law firm of Thurman W. Arnold III
click to call
225 South Civic Drive Suite 1-3 Palm Springs, CA 92262

My ex wife has twice taken the DEPENDENCY EXEMPTION. I am supposed to get alternate years.

Q. My ex wife, who is getting child support from me, has twice claimed our daughter on our taxes. We are supposed to alternate each year. I took her back to Court, and the Judge ordered that I get to alternate with her. She keeps filing. What can I do?

Gary, Needles, CA

A. The cheapist advice I can give you, regarding taxes, is to file first this year - before she does. The IRS tends to disallow the second in time filing. Just make sure you claim the correct child, and that the orders are clear that you are entitled to a dependency deduction. Remember that if you have been awarded a deduction for a child, that you will be paying slightly higher child support. These deductions tend to be worth about $1,800, depending obviously on your income.

You should file a Request for Order asking the Court order to her to sign IRS Form 8332 relating to dependency exemptions - which is all the protection you would need, if signed, to deal with IRS next time. Attach this signed form to your tax return and you are good to go!

Finally, you could take her to Court and obtain an order reimbursing the extra taxes you paid. Prepare your declaration carefully, and include a declaration from your accountant about how the numbers were figured. Many court orders provide that a support payor only gets the deduction if they are current on their support obligations for the year.

There is no form for filing for the Head of Household - you have to separately qualify for that based upon at least 6 month's (and a day) custodial timeshare during the year.

Good luck, Gary - how's the water?

Thurman Arnold

Categories: Child Support, Tax Issues


No Comments Posted

Palm Springs Family Attorneys | Contact Thurman W. Arnold III | Site Map | Disclaimer

Professional Web Design The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Address: 225 South Civic Drive Suite 1-3 Palm Springs, CA 92262 Phone: (760) 320-7915