CALIFORNIA CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE
Part 4. MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
Title 4. CIVIL DISCOVERY ACT
Chapter 14. INSPECTION AND PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS, TANGIBLE THINGS, LAND, AND OTHER PROPERTY
Article 1. Inspection Demand
C.C.P. § 2031.030
(a) (1) A party demanding inspection, copying, testing, or sampling shall number each set of demands consecutively.
(2) A party demanding inspection, copying, testing, or sampling of electronically stored information may specify the form or forms in which each type of electronically stored information is to be produced.
(b) In the first paragraph immediately below the title of the case, there shall appear the identity of the demanding party, the set number, and the identity of the responding party.
(c) Each demand in a set shall be separately set forth, identified by number or letter, and shall do all of the following:
(1) Designate the documents, tangible things, land or other property, or electronically stored information to be inspected, copied, tested, or sampled either by specifically describing each individual item or by reasonably particularizing each category of item.
(2) Specify a reasonable time for the inspection, copying, testing, or sampling that is at least 30 days after service of the demand, unless the court for good cause shown has granted leave to specify an earlier date. In an unlawful detainer action or other proceeding under Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 1159) of Title 3 of Part 3, the demand shall specify a reasonable time for the inspection, copying, testing, or sampling that is at least five days after service of the demand, unless the court, for good cause shown, has granted leave to specify an earlier date.
(3) Specify a reasonable place for making the inspection, copying, testing, or sampling, and performing any related activity.
(4) Specify any inspection, copying, testing, sampling, or related activity that is being demanded, as well as the manner in which that activity will be performed, and whether that activity will permanently alter or destroy the item involved.